5 Tips to Speed Up Your Joomla 3.x Website
Updated in Oct 2016
There are two main reasons to speed up a website: it brings higher visitor engagement, retention, conversation and affects website search ranking on Google. You’ve wondered why your Joomla website loads so slowly, even it was upgraded to version 3.x, haven’t you?
Well, let’s check out 5 tips you can use now to speed up your Joomla 3.x website.
Updated in Oct 2016
There are two main reasons to speed up a website:
- Visitors don’t want to wait, so they will leave your website if it takes too long to load. Therefore, speeding up your website will be an added-value that brings higher visitor engagement, retention and conversation.
- Google has announced that website speed affects its search ranking: faster websites are ranked higher because they provide visitors with a better experience. And that’s quite sensible.
You’ve wondered why your Joomla website loads so slowly, even it was upgraded to version 3.x, haven’t you? Well, let’s check out 5 tips you can use now to speed up your Joomla 3.x website.
1. Choose the Right Hosting from a Reputable Provider
Your site was probably put on the same server as hundreds or thousands of other sites. It could lead to slow speeds when many clients try to access this server at the same time.
Therefore, ensure that you choose the right hosting from a reputable provider – one who can meet all of Joomla’s hosting requirements: a limited number of sites per server, server hardware support, server caching support, Joomla expert support… Some popular and well-known hosting providers recommended by Joomla user are: Bluehost, Inmotion, HostGator, Arvixe…
2. Enable Gzip Compression
Using the Gzip Compression feature, you can compress your website pages before sending them to the user. After that, they will be uncompressed by the user’s browser. And this process takes less time than transferring uncompressed pages.
By default, Gzip Compression is disabled in Joomla 3.x. Therefore, you have to enable it manually by following these steps:
On the Top Menu, select Site > Global Configuration > Server tab, and switch the Gzip Page Compression to YES option.
3. Enable Cache System
Most websites have contents that are not changed frequently. Therefore, the theory of Joomla caching is very simple: the Cache system takes a copy of the whole page in its first load. When the user visits it again, this copy will be displayed without reloading the same images and files all over again.
Please make sure that you enable Joomla Cache system. This is a very simple step but it can increase the loading speed of your website a lot. You can do it as follows:
Global Configuration > System > Cache setting, and switch Cache to “ON – Conservative caching”. In ‘Cache time’, choose 30 (minutes) for a cache file to be stored before it is refreshed.
4. Optimization Settings (Images, CSS, Java Scripts…)
Here are the optimization that need to be used to speed up your website:
- Images: don’t try to upload big scale pictures, resize them before uploading.
- Template: try to have a lighter and simpler website template. Simple is always the best.
- Clean up Joomla often and remove anything that you don’t need: unused components, modules, plugins, “Not Found” queries…
5. Check Your Joomla Website Speed
Don’t forget the final step – check your website speed. You should do it before and after following all of these guidelines. And don’t be surprised when you see how much faster your website can be. You can do it by using one of these tools or services: YSlow Chrome plugin, Pingdom tools, Google PageSpeed or GTmetrix…
Ok, I think that’s enough to speed up your Joomla 3.x website. Please share your experience with us in the comment area. Do you have any other trick to fasten your Joomla website loading speed? Please share with us by commenting below!