Are you ready to learn Joomla from Zero to Expert with OSTraining?
Hello everybody who wants to be a part, or who is already a part, of the Joomla world! It is a fact that when many new things come to you, you will surely find a way to get acquainted with them; maybe you need an enthusiastic teacher or guide, a good book, or just a place where you can seek out tutorial clips.
It's so exciting because I know there is one thing that can help you have all three things above. That is OSTraining, an excellent tutorial resource. And you know what? I have learnt a lot about Joomla thanks to OSTraining. In this article, I will introduce Joomla 2.5 classes from this mini online school – OSTraining.
"I choose OSTraining", that my statement when a friend asks about the best tutorial resource. There are a lot of reasons for that.
Firstly, I think you will be satisfied with the quality of the clips here. OSTraining contains more than 100 clips with all levels and with super-high quality. The visuals and sound are both great; they are lively and clear. All clips have transcript or voice so that you can follow and understand the course more easily.
Secondly, OSTraining has both online training and classroom training. This is very different from other online tutorial resources. You not only learn by watching online clips, but you can get the experience of face-to-face training with a "real" teacher, who is one of the experts in OSTraining. There are classes for 2 levels: Beginner and Intermediate.
Finally, with OSTraining, besides Joomla video tutorials, you will get support from experts; therefore, you can gain knowledge of Joomla faster and more accurately.
Detailed training courses
Currently, there are courses for both Joomla 1.5 and Joomla 2.5. However, Joomla 1.5 is coming to the end of its life, so I won't introduce it here; I'll just introduce the Joomla 2.5 courses.
Joomla 2.5 Beginner Class
If you are a Joomla newbie, you should definitely join this class. You will be equipped all of the essential concepts and knowledge you need to get started with Joomla 2.5.
There are 6 main parts:
- Part 1: Introducing Joomla and explaining the basics about how Joomla works such as Installation of a Joomla site and Navigating the Administrator Site.
- Part 2: A guide to managing content in Joomla, adding text and images and then seeing all your options for presenting content to your visitors such as Creating New Articles - Inserting and Formatting Images, Creating New Articles - Inserting and Formatting Text, and Link to a Blog.
- Part 3: Introducing extensions which provide all of the extra features you could want in your Joomla site, for example: Banners, Contacts, Messaging, Module Manager.
- Part 4: Learning about design and showing you how to find, install and use a great-looking template:
- Part 5: Showing you how to keep your Joomla site safe and secure.
- Part 6: Learning about a wide variety of installation options for Joomla such as Local Installation on a Mac, Local Installation on a PC, and Local Installation on a PC.
Joomla 2.5 Intermediate Class
When you have finished the beginner class, you can continue your learning with this intermediate class. This class follows immediately on from the beginner class and takes your Joomla skills to a higher level. It includes 24 clips divided into 2 main parts:
- Part 1: Guiding you to build a complete business website from Setting up the Categories to Setting up User Profiles, Setting up the Template, etc.
- Part 2: Learning how to keep your site healthy, safe and secure with clips such as Joomla! Tips and Techniques, Site Security, Backing up your site.
Joomla 2.5 Template Design Class
After getting basic and intermediate knowledge of Joomla from the 2 classes above, some of you might want to create a great outfit for your Joomla site by yourself. The Template Design class will meet that need. It gives you 30 short clips in 6 parts.
- Part 1: Introducing the project and the tools you'll need for template design such as, Resources You'll Need (Windows), Resources You'll Need (Mac), The 960 Grid
- Part 2: Preparing a Photoshop file
- Part 3: Preparing your images and files for use in Joomla
- Part 4: Designing each different area of your template from the header to the footer
- Part 5: Learning how to add advanced features to your template
- Part 6: Other useful tips including how to covert an HTML design to Joomla.
Joomla Access control
In this class you'll learn about Joomla's access control system. You'll decide who can see and do what on your site via the three different levels of access control in Joomla:
- Using groups to control what people can and cannot see.
- Using access levels what people can and cannot do.
- Creating your own groups and access levels to meet the needs of your site.
This class teaches you how to keep your Joomla site safe. You'll learn how to protect your site, take backups and restore your site if anything goes wrong.
In this class, you will find out how to:
- Understand the basics of Joomla security.
- Update your Joomla site.
- Update your extensions.
- Use Akeeba Backup to backup and restore your site.
- Use Admin Tools to keep your site safe.
Joomla Multi-lingual sites
This class teaches you how to build multi-lingual Joomla sites. You'll learn how to translate your Joomla site and attract visitors in more than one language. It will work best if you have also taken the Joomla 2.5 Intermediate class and built the business site in that class.
There are 4 ways to make your site into multi-lingual sites. And you will start by adding easy, automatic translations to your site. 3 other ways are Manual site translations, Translations with an Extension (Falang), and Language string translations.
I think that most Joomla users know K2, right? While, normal Joomla articles just give you a title and body, K2 give you much more, such as adding videos, image galleries, fields, files, multiple authors and so on. It is really a powerful Joomla extension.
However, to know and use K2 in the right way is not easy. Thus, OSTraining opened a small class for you to learn to use this extension. And there are 3 parts:
- Part 1: you'll learn how to set up and configure K2.
- Part 2: you'll learn how to create an outstanding blog with K2 such as Importing your Joomla content and categories into K2, Controlling your K2 menus links and formatting, Managing users and authors in K2 and so on.
- Part 3: you'll take K2 far beyond a blog site. You'll build a review with maps, image galleries and more.
Jomsocial is the most complete social networking option for Joomla with friends, photos, videos, events and much more.
Unlike the classes above, this class is actually a text class; there is no video, but the tutorial documents are very detailed with images. Hopefully, they will add videos to the class soon.
In this class, there are 3 parts:
- Part 1: you'll see how to install and configure JomSocial. You'll also set up Cron so that your social network is updated regularly.
- Part 2: you'll set up all the features that your users will love, including videos, photo galleries, events and groups.
- Part 3: you'll learn how to design Jomsocial. You'll modify the toolbar, edit templates, add module positions and create overrides.
Besides joining the classes above, if you have any questions about Joomla or related things, you can go to Joomla questions area in the support forum and post them here. The OSTraining supporters will answer you soon, in about 8 hours.
So, I have finished the tour of Joomla classes in OSTraining school. What do you think? Do you like it? If you say "yes", join OSTraining right now and enjoy your training.
I have some good news for you: JoomlaShine and OSTraining are partners. So, if you buy Joomlashine's products, you will get a 30% discount for OSTraining training courses. We at Joomlashine hope that this partnership bring you guys a lot of benefits. And don't forget to tell me your thought by leaving comments!