How to troubleshoot popular problems when upgrading from Joomla! 2.5 to 3.x
Upgrading from Joomla 2.5 to Joomla 3.x is not difficult, but in some cases, you can encounter some unwanted errors. To save your time on searching with Google or waiting for the reply from Joomla community, I collected here some popular errors that I myself, as well as other Joomla users, got when upgrading from 2.5 to 3.x (of course, solutions are included).
Check the list below and find the solution for yourself.
- Can't find the option to update
- Get a blank screen after upgrading
- Can't click the button in backend
- Some extensions don't work
1. Can't find the option to update
Problem: When you view Joomla update page, it says: No updates available
- Click Options button
- Select Short term support from Update server list and then Click Save & Close
- If you still see the message: "There are no updates available at the moment", please go to Extensions --> Extension manager --> tab Update. Click button Purge Cache here.
- Go back to Joomla update page at Components --> Joomla! Update, here you will see the message "A Joomla! update was found.
2. Get a blank screen after upgrading
Problem:You see nothing but a blank page after upgrading. This might be caused due to many different reasons. We need to turn on the check logs to view the error report.
- Inspect the error: There are 2 ways for you to get the error messages
- Check the log files to view if there is an error reported. You can view 2 files under the logs folder:
- Open the configuration file: /configuration.php and change the setting $error_reporting to "Maximum".
- Based on the errors you see in these 2 files, you can find suitable solutions below:
- If you haven't updated successfully due to not meeting the environment setting requirements, you should recheck the server settings to make sure they fit requirements.
- If you got errors related to a specific third party plugin, simply disable it via phpMyadmin.
- Go to phpMyAdmin, find the tables you want to work with, select tab SQL
- Input this below script:
UPDATE 'XXX__extensions' SET enabled = 0 WHERE type = 'plugin' AND extension_id =
XXX is the table prefix of database. The plugin ID you can find easily in phpMyAdmin, at table XXX_extensions.
- If you got Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on a non-object in .../plugins/system/remember/remember.php on line 94, this is about database error so we need to update the database manually.
- Please rename the file /plugins/system/remember/ remember.php to rememberBAK.php
- Copy the file remember.php in folder Joomla latest version to folder /plugins/system/remember
- Now you can access your admin panel, login, go to Extensions --> Extensions manager --> Database, click button Fix
- After that, delete the new remember.php and then rename the rememberBAK.php to remember.php
3. Can't click the button in backend
Problem: You create a new item, but can't click "Save" or any other button or you can't click Edit with the selected item after upgrading.
Troubleshooting: Simply clear your browser cache and everything will be fine.
- On Windows: you can use hotkey: Ctrl+Shift+Delete
- On Mac: you can use hotkey: Command+Shift+Delete
4. Some extensions don't work
Problem: You find some broken modules and your site shows a message like Fatal error: Call to undefined method Joomla/Registry/Registry::getValue() in [web_root] /components/com_[name _of_extensions]/...../jversion.php on line 35".
Troubleshooting: It means that the extension mentioned in this error is not compatible with Joomla 3. You should install the latest Joomla 3 compatible version of that extension.
With our JoomlaShine extensions,you will be able to get support from our professional developer team whenever your extensions are not working on your site.Besides, you can getthe frequently upgrades to bring your site the best performance.
TRY JOOMLASHINE EXTENSIONS FOR FREE
Hope this article can help you go through the migration trouble. If you can't find a solution to your problem here, please leave a comment below, I will try to give you the best solution.
This article will be updated frequently. Don't hesitate to let us know if you want to list your own problem as well as your solution here. It can be very helpful for other Joomla users when upgrading Joomla 2.5 to Joomla 3.x.
Read more: Joomla 3.7 Update Problem & how to fix them