Interesting Facts About Joomla
*Updated 05 March 2020*
Almost users know about Joomla as one of the world's most popular full-featured Content Management System (CMS) and try to use that CMS when they do not have enough information related to Joomla.
Today we are going to give insight into our CMS, not only technical stuff but also information about Joomla with numbers and stories which provide some interesting facts about Joomla that we all should know about this famous CMS we are using:
- Joomla first released: August 17, 2005.
- The name “Joomla” comes from the Swahili word “Jumla”, which means “all together” or “as a whole”.
- Mambo (formerly named Mambo Open Source or MOS) and Joomla originated together but they separated in late 2005.
- Joomla is written in PHP, uses OOP (object-oriented programming) techniques and software design patterns, and stores data in MySQL or MS SQL.
- Joomla’s frameworks: Gantry and Warp Framework (HTML 5 and CSS3).
- There are some different versions of Joomla! Available: Joomla 3.9.15 is the newest version which is supported by Joomla official website, recommended for new installs. Joomla 1.0, 1.5 & 2.5 are the previous versions of this CMS which are no longer supported.
- Currently, Joomla 4 Alpha version is also available.
- Over 111 million copies of the Joomla software have been downloaded according to Joomla.org (Since March 2007).
- More than 10,000 Joomla Extensions developed by third-party developers.
- There are nearly 8000 extensions available in The Joomla! Extensions Directory for you to download. Around 5 new extensions are added to Joomla extensions directory every day.
- Joomla.org has more than 2 TB of traffic per month.
- There are more than 740,000 total registered users on the Official Joomla community forum and more on the many international community sites.
Joomla in the world:
- Joomla is translated into 75 languages with more than 100 registered local Joomla Users Groups.
- The pie chart below shows the proportions of the world’s Joomla users group in different regions:
Websites using Joomla:
Harvard University uses Joomla to build their own website
- 2.8% of 1,000,000 largest websites in the world use Joomla in a variety of fields.
- Joomla powers 3.1% of World wide web ( W3Techs)
- Joomla accounted for 5.7% CMS market share
- Over 9% of the business website using Joomla
- Version 3 of Joomla is used by 66% of all websites that use CMS
- Some websites using Joomla:
- Harvard University: Gsas.hardvard.edu.
- Linux: linux.com
- MTV Greece: mtvgreece.gr
- Yamaha: mx.yamaha.com.
- The Fashion Spot: thefashionspot.com
- Guggenheim: guggenheim.org
- Joomla is best for creating website oriented e-commerce and website requiring a more professional touch.
- Joomla is easy to install. You do not have to be an Internet expert to set up Joomla. There exist many web hosts that enable users to install Joomla with just a single click.
- Furthermore, Joomla turns out to be easy to use to quickly build and develop Joomla websites using some extensions.
Joomla is the flexible platform which can be used for multi-purpose from business to the personal blog. Besides the official Joomla library, you can easily find out enormous number of Joomla templates and extensions from third-party.
TRY JOOMLASHINE EXTENSIONS FOR FREE
If you want to find more information about Joomla, you can click these links below:
- About Joomla.
- Wikipedia Joomla.
- Joomla statistics in 2020
- 5 years with Joomla.
- 10 Most Popular Websites Using Joomla!
- Joomla vs WordPress: Which is the best for your websites?
Those are some interesting facts about Joomla. If you have any suggestions or questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us or leave a comment below.