Interesting Facts About Joomla
Almost users know about Joomla is the world's most popular full-featured Content Management System (CMS) and try to use it without any further information related to Joomla. Today we are going to give insight into our CMS, not only technical stuff but also information about Joomla with numbers and stories which provide some interesting facts about Joomla that we all should know about this famous CMS we are using:
- Joomla first released: August 17, 2005.
- The name “Joomla” comes from the Swahili word “Jumla”, which means “all together” or “as a whole”.
- Mambo (formerly named Mambo Open Source or MOS) and Joomla originated together but they separated in late 2005.
- Joomla is written in PHP, uses OOP (object-oriented programming) techniques and software design patterns, and stores data in MySQL orMS SQL.
- Joomla’s frameworks: Gantry and Warp Framework (HTML 5 and CSS3).
- There are two versions of Joomla! Available: Joomla 3.3.1 is the newest version, recommended for new installs. Joomla 2.5 is the previous version of the CMS.
- Over 50 million copies of the Joomla software have been downloaded according to Joomla.org (Since March 2007).
- 9559 is the number of Joomla Extensions developed by third party developers.
- There are over 8000 extensions available in The Joomla! Extensions Directory for you to download. Around 5 new extensions are added to Joomla extensions directory everyday.
- Joomla.org has more than 2 TB of traffic per month.
- There are more than 210,000 active registered users on the Official Joomla community forum and more on the many international community sites.
Joomla in the world:
- Joomla is translated into 64 languages with 277 registered local Joomla Users Group.
- The pie chart below show the proportions of the world’s Joomla users group in different regions:
Websites using Joomla:
Harvard University uses Joomla to build their own website
- 2.8% of 1,000,000 largest websites in the world use Joomla in a variety of fields.
- Some websites using Joomla:
- Harvard University: Gsas.hardvard.edu.
- Linux: linux.com
- MTV Greece: mtvgreece.gr
- Yamaha: mx.yamaha.com.
- Joomla is best for creating website oriented e-commerce and website requiring a more professional touch.
- Joomla is easy to install. You do not have to be an Internet expert to set up Joomla. There exist many web hosts that enable users to install Joomla with just a single click. Furthermore, Joomla turns out to be easy to use to quickly build and develop Joomla websites using some extensions.
If you want to find more information about Joomla, you can click these links below:
- About Joomla.
- Wikipedia Joomla.
- Joomla in the plain numbers.
- 5 years with Joomla.
- 10 Most Popular Websites Using Joomla!
Those are some interesting facts about Joomla. If you have any suggestions or questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us or leave a comment below.